Babies are beautiful. Lately it seems that all the little babies I've seen are of the angelic variety. You see their big eyes and round cheeks and can't help but think of butterflies, bubbles, puffy clouds and sugar cookies. They are so smiley and cherubic.
I don't have those kind of babies. I thought it was just Mason but Eli is a second example of the type of babies I have. They are absolutely beautiful, but the adjectives used to describe them come from a different section of the thesaurus. They look like little old men. Wizened, observant, shrewd, contemplative, and judicious. It can be startling to glance at your tiny baby and see that they are staring back at you with such intensity. It's as if he's trying to tell me something extremely important and I need to pay attention.
Eli is so expressive. He has his share of lovely smiles and content expressions. But it's a bit rough on my confidence as a mother that he also has a look of skepticism that frequents his face. I love the silent moments we share as we gaze into each others' eyes. I'm wondering who he'll become and yearning to know everything about him. He looks back and in his eyes I see absolute love and acceptance. He knows everything about me and is willing to teach me what God needs me to learn.
Jason to Mason "Tell your mom she makes pretty babies."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment