We've gotten in a bad habit of letting Eli doze off while sucking on his bottle. I've been trying to fix this. Today Eli was tired, but Mason was in their room cleaning up a box of toys so I waited to put Eli in his crib. Soon he got overly tired, his teeth were probably bothering him, and he got cranky. Instead of reverting to the usual bottle-fix, I thought about how I'd like to take a nap... if I could.
So I bundled my Eli in my old baby blanket, for it's his favorite.
I held him close
and walked outside.
I held him while standing under the willow tree.
I watched
him watch
the leaves move in the breeze.
His eyes reflected the color of the sky.
He gazed
silently,
intently,
and motionless
for a few minutes.
Then he softly closed his eyes
and soundly slept.
I wished the world would wait for a while so we could stay in the moment a little longer.
So I bundled my Eli in my old baby blanket, for it's his favorite.
I held him close
and walked outside.
I held him while standing under the willow tree.
I watched
him watch
the leaves move in the breeze.
His eyes reflected the color of the sky.
He gazed
silently,
intently,
and motionless
for a few minutes.
Then he softly closed his eyes
and soundly slept.
I wished the world would wait for a while so we could stay in the moment a little longer.

..... and then the crazy neighbors started yelling over the fence, waking the baby and ruining the moment...
ReplyDelete=)