This is a long one: We requested the call recording from dispatch and just got it in the mail today. It's about 7 minutes long. Jason dialed on the way outside to get Mason out of the car and bring him back inside. I think readers can tell exactly at what point he walked back into the bedroom where I was. Listening to this the first few times made me cry. Then laugh. Now I think I may *almost* be ready to write my version of the event.
Normal type is the dispatchers dialog and the bold print is Jason's. (I left out a lot of the "okay"s. I went back and counted and between the two of them there were something like 105.)
911 What’s the address of your emergency?(Gives address) Is there an apartment number? No, it’s a house. My wife …ha…is going into labor. She’s going into labor? Yeah. Okay. Mumble. Oh go ahead? This is in Cedar City correct? Yeah. Okay what’s your phone number real quick? Uh, #### Okay that verifies. Okay let me get some information okay? Okay. (baby crying sound) Has she already had the baby?! No, no this is our other one. Okay, how old is your wife? Uh, 26. Okay. Is she awake? Yeah. Is she breathing? Yeah (Mason crying continues) She said the baby’s crowned. She said the baby’s crowned? Okay How many weeks/months pregnant is she? She’s…Her due date is this week. It’s this week? Can you see or feel or touch a – He’s here! He’s here! We need someone right away. Okay. Okay you say your wife says she crowning. OHHHHH! He’s here he’s here. He’s- Okay Sir? Sir? Yeah. Yeah. Sir? Is it coming out right now? He’s lying on my floor! The baby’s on the floor?! Yeah. Okay Okay. Can you… Okay just calm down sir. Ok I’m going to get the ambulance right out there okay? Ok, The door is unlocked. Just hold it. What can I, what should I be doing? (To Ash) What should I be doing? (Ash: I need the bulb suction) Um where? Mason come here. Mason come in. Can you stay right here bud? (Ash: It’s okay)
Sir? Sir? Okay I’m going to tell you what to do. I’ve got the ambulance enroute. I’ve got officers enroute. This is what I want you to do okay? The baby is out? How is your wife doing? Is she? She’s doing good (laughing). Okay I want you to get a towel. Okay, we’ve got a towel. Wrap the baby in the towel. Wrap him in the towel Ash. This is what I…The baby is out. Your wife and the baby are both laying on the floor right? She’s kneeling beside him sucking his nose with… Is the baby breathing? He’s kinda whimpering, yeah. Get some dry towels and a blanket to wrap the baby in. K, Ash. Can you…or should I..We just need to wrap the baby up. Keep him…(Big sigh)… How’s your wife doing? How’s the baby doing? She’s doing good, he’s kind of whimpering.
You need to get a string or a shoelace to tie around the umbilical cord. You need to tie a shoelace around his umbilical cord, does it have to be... Just something…K how’s the baby? Is he crying or breathing at all? He’s not…Ash is he… He’s not breathing? He’s not crying. He’s not crying. But he’s breathing? Is he breathing? He’s breathing a little bit, yeah. Just have your wife gently wipe off the baby’s mouth and nose. Gently wipe his mouth and nose. Okay? Um, holy cow I don’t know. Ok sir? Yeah? Your wife’s kinda got it under control? Yeah, she’s… You just make sure she’s got a clean towel she can wrap the baby in and a clean blanket. Okay. And then how’s the ...(crying) Is that the baby crying? No that’s … That’s the other baby? That’s the other one. Ok. Just have your wife dry the baby off with a clean towel. And you help her, okay? Then you wrap the baby up. Is your wife holding the baby in her arms already? No she’s lying on the ground doing towels. Okay. Without pulling the cord tight I want you to put the baby in the mother’s arms or on her belly, whatever is comfortable. Make sure the cords not wrapped around the baby’s neck. Is it? ...Yeah it’s not around his neck. Be sure to keep the baby and your wife warm. Get a blanket for both of them. Keep them warm. Now listen carefully. I’m going to tell you what to do next. Okay. Do you have a string? Do you have any dental floss? A shoestring? I have…What would be best? Whatever you have. Do you have a shoestring? Yeah I’ve got…I can take one out real quick. Okay, just take one out. Okay do you have one? Okay just relax. Are the baby and the wife doing alright? Hello? (Call is dropped when Jason drops his phone)
Sorry. My phone… Did you get the shoelace out? I’m trying to get one out. Does it matter if it’s dirty? Nope, just whatever you have. K, here’s a string. Is there any way you can tie… Dispatcher to officers: She’s full term and the baby’s out. They are breathing. He’s crying a little bit. Okay sir. Without pulling on the cord I want you tie the string or shoelace tightly around the umbilical cord about six inches from the baby, ok. Don’t cut the umbilical cord just tie it. Can you tie it six inches? From the baby and don’t pull on it. How tight? Just tight. Tie it tight or not tight? Just tie it tight. Okay. Do you have it done now? Yeah. Just keep your wife and your baby…just keep the baby on the tummy. Can you put him on your stomach? Keep him warm. I should have some officers there. What’s that? There should be some officers there. Can someone let the officers in the house? Yeah, it’s open. Let me… They have medical training. They’re going to help you until the ambulance gets there. Yeah they’re here. I’m going to let you go then sir. Okay. Congratulations. Bye Bye. Bye.
I'm glad that they let you keep the recording!
ReplyDeleteAll I can say is WOW! That is neat that you have his whole birth story on record like that.
ReplyDeleteYou are a strong woman, Ash. We are so happy for you guys!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! What an experience! I'm glad everything turned out ok!
ReplyDeleteEli will have fun telling his kids about his birth. I'm glad everything seemed to go well, just fast! You're amazing, and both of your little boys are lucky to have you for a mom.
ReplyDeleteHoly cow Ash. I dont know how you did it. Wow I am glad it all went well. I had
ReplyDeletemy 3rd about 20 minutes after I got to the hospital and that was my biggest fear with my 4th. He is such a doll. Congrats.